Monday, November 15, 2010

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts: Fried Ringlets from Heaven


North Carolina.  Why was I there? Once again I had headed for another crazy road trip with Buddy and his band (The National Rifle) to play a show with Future Islands. I had never been there, so I had know idea what to expect other then southern accents everywhere. 
That night they played, it was an awesome show, however driving 7 hours back to Philly only to take a 1 1/2 hour train back to New York with a 45 minute subway ride with a transfer  to my apartment was not so awesome. I decided I deserved a treat for what was in store ahead of me....

 Making doughnuts! 

 Behind that shiny glass was fried bliss... Buddy was in a trance
 Our conversation:
Buddy: All I know is that I want a raspberry filled
Me: Okay well I definitely want a glazed and a seasonal one
Buddy: Well I guess we should get a dozen then
Me: YES YES YES YES YES Let's just get a 1/2 dozen.....

 From top left to bottom right: Blueberry Creme, raspberry filled, glazed, chocolate frosted, pumpkin, glazed

Blueberry: Meh, nothing special, the blueberries were dehydrated and covered with way too much sugar. The cake part was moist, but with the sugar on the blueberries and the glaze; it was just way too sweet

Raspberry Filled: Buddy shoved the whole thing down his throat before I could even try a bite ( I had a feeling he did this on purpose...)

Chocolate Cake:  The quickest one to go, I turned my head and it was gone.

Pumpkin: Light and airy, this was better than the blueberry, but the flavors of the spice became  muddled. Dare I say it?....The Dunkin Donut pumpkin doughnut was by far, more satisfying.

Glazed:  Delicious, light and airy like a cloud. Not too big, and the perfect treat. By far my favorite out of them all.
Price: $6.50 for 1/2 dozen

Doughnut induced coma

Verdict: The cake doughnuts here were alright, but I'd stick to the classic glazed.... ahh....my mouth is watering as I think about now... And if you are lucky enough to find a krispy kreme that makes the doughnuts right where, then by all means you have the right to pig out!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment