Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tingers Tips: When All Else Fails, Raid the Cabinets



Over the past weekend, my foot really started hurting from a past injury. Being crippled with nothing to do on such a gorgeous weekend really takes a toll on a girl. Also, I was pretty cash poor ( after buying a pair of shoes I couldn't live without). So what did I decide to do? Make muffins with whatever the hell my boyfriend had left in his kitchen. (Which essentially whatever I left over from when I felt like baking over there).

I opened every cabinet, looked in the fridge and pulled out everything and anything that was edible and not molding or rotten.
After weeding out ridiculous things (such as garlic cloves and left over chinese food although...chinese food muffins sounds so freaking insane that I just might have try it) I narrowed down my ingredients to these:
1 cup Cake flour
2 cups Multigrain Pancake Mix
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup Coke
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup raspberry jam ( picked the one with the giant chunks of berries)
pinch of salt

Mix Ins
1/2 cup white chocolate (cut into chunks from a bar)
1/2 cup milk chocolate (cut into chunks from a bar)
1/2 cup of cranberries
Handful of left over honey roasted almonds

....yeah I went a little crazy, but hey.. that was all I had in the kitchen!

* Don't forget to pre heat the oven!! 375 is good

Mix all the dry ingredients together. In separate (larger) bowl, mix in all the wet ingredients. Slowly start to add the dry mix into the wet, making sure all of the flour is dissolved before adding more. After they are combined add the mix ins. 

I threw them into a muffin pan and in the the oven they went for about 18-20 minutes.
My Kitchen Cabinet Muffins
Ooohh yeah, looking good so far, time to slice and taste...
It was extremely moist, and the carbonation in the Coke made them airy, fluffy and light. I guess this was like eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, trail mix, and having a sip of Coke all in one bite. So I would say... success!

Verdict: It really doesn't matter what mix ins you put in there, as long as you like all the flavors, who gives a shit?  I wish I had yogurt or milk to throw into the batter just to make it a little more healthy, but oh well, next time I will have to try. Also, it needed more nuts...

 And I am still thinking about the Chinese Left Over Muffins... Do you think I should make them??

No comments:

Post a Comment