Monday, July 12, 2010

Sweet Tooth: Moishe's Bake Shop... So Many Choices, So Little Time

What better way of starting off this Monday with a sweet treat? 
If you live in New York, chances are you have passed this bakery while walking around the East Village (whether be drunken stumbling on a Saturday night or shamefully coming out of the half-price sushi place on a weekday). Time after time I kept thinking" today will be the day I am going to check this place out". So finally after the 20th time passing it....I decided to walk in.


The smell of butter as I entered was intoxicating and immediately made me start  to drool


Checkered Cake
After looking around for what seemed to be hours, I decided one thing was certain. It is absolutely impossible for me to pick only 1 thing at a bakery or pastry shop. This caused a problem since I recently vowed to go on a spending diet.
With that being said, I asked the nice girls behind the counter what was their freshest and tastiest cake.
They immediately  showed me over to the checkered cake, though their chocolate on chocolate cake was giving me pretty eyes. How could I not take their advice? They did work here after all!
The price was priced per the pound and I got a 3x1x4 (LxWxH for all our morons out there). Walking out, I sank my teeth into the cake slice... pretty standard vanilla and chocolate flavor. Dense, yet still airy. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. The icing wasn't too sweet, but thick and stuck to the roof of my mouth.  I didn't finish the cake.
Price: $1.60
Verdict:  The girls working their were very helpful in trying to find what you are looking for, they were patient, kind and had a good sense of humor. With that being said, though the cake was not a winner in my book, I am sure I will be back to try something else  with faith I will find something more to my taste based on the service I had received.
Moishes Bake Shop
115 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10003

No comments:

Post a Comment