Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dinner: Like Stepping Into a Julie and Julia Scene





Thanks to yet another awesome restaurant.com coupon, I found this little gem called Spring Mill Cafe, in the middle of nowhere Conshohoken PA. I have heard nothing but great things about this place and was very excited to see what all the fuss was all about.

Buddy and I pulled up to this... in fact we drove right past it the first time and we had to turn around to search for the place. The resturant was composed of 2 areas, the main dining was in the actual house while the alternative dining was in the barn.... note to all those girls who want to looks sexy for your date, heels + gravel= walking like you are in Michael Jackson's Thriller video


Walking in was like stepping into a French country side home, with knick knacks, old cook books and pictures decorating this vintage house.



Get news... this place was BYOB! Buddy grabbed a bottle of Toasted Head Cabernet Sauvingnon before we left. I adore red wine, I'm not a wine expert but my favorite type of red are Cabernet and Pinot Noir. 


Complimentary Bread Basket
Buddy and I were STARVING and as soon as this hit the table we both reached in eagerly only to be scolded by the piping hot rolls. Not the most impressive bread basket out there, but it certainly fended off hunger with a healthy slather of butter. The standard dinner roll.
Price: Free


Escargots de Bourgogn
These were snails served on top of a broiche with garlic pesto butter. Petite, a perfect sized appetizer for 2. There were 7 snails and so far the best I have had yet. They were plump, tender, and perfectly cooked. Oh and the garlic pesto butter.... it took all my might not to lick the plate clean. This butter was not for garlic lovers, but garlic obsessed freaks ( like me). The broiche was forgettable, almost a giant slale crouton, or better yet, a platform for the snails to show off on.
Price: $12.00

We were seated next to this...
Buddy and I played around with it for a bit while we waited for out food. I first thought it was a lasagna or some other sort of pasta crimper. We decided to ask the waiter and he informed us that it was a vintage kerosene oil pump and has been in that exact spot since 1910! The house served as a general store back in the day and this is where people used to get oil to fuel their lanterns etc. Learn something new everyday!


Lapin à la Moutarde
Buddy ordered this, it was braised rabbit legs in a mustard cream with leeks, onions, potatoes and egg noodles. My general rule of thumb is that I don't eat any animal what is "cute". So therefore I have never had rabbit. Well I guess it was time to break that rule since it did look quite appetizing.  I took a bite...
" Your just ate a little bunny!!" Buddy taunted at me.  What an asshole. Images of little bunnies hopping around, their cute little nose sniffing at stuff instantly flashed in my mind. I swallowed. Well... I know this sounds clique, but it did taste like chicken. It had stringier meat fibers, a more sour flavor (possibly from the mustard seeds) but overall like chicken. It was moist, and the mustard cream went beautifully with it.
Price: $28.00


La Bouillabaisse de Marseille
I ordered this one. It was with mussels, clams, sea scallops, and monkfish in a tomato saffron broth. This was a pretty big disappointment. The broth was very watered down, and none of the flavors seemed to penetrate any of the seafood. I had to actually use (gasp!) salt. The mussels and clams were also very small, the fish and scallops, overly cooked and almost rubbery. Worth the price? No.
Price: $31.00
Verdict: The charm of this place is its driving force. Insanely romantic, you will be pooping out rose petals later in the night. Though my entrée was a disappointing, the appetizer and rabbit dish were fantastic, filling and made with care.  If you live in PA, it is worth the trip to take a break from all those strip malls and chain restaurants . Having a meal here is like taking a trip to the French countryside. Be forewarned that there is limited seating (40 people max) so it is best to make a reservation.
Spring Mill Cafe
180 Barren Hill Road, 
Conshohocken, PA 19428
www.springmill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment