Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dinner: And a Show at the Blockley House


This past weekend I headed down to Philly to see Buddy and his band (The National Rifle) play. The Blockley House is a bar/ music venue located in University City. Soo.... off we went!
Outside entrance. Hugh: farting Lynna: Getting a good whiff


Inside is pretty spacious, plenty of dancing and standing space and a large horseshoe bar


Jerk Chicken with Rice
Since we got there early, I had an opportunity to talk to the cooks. They were making food for themselves at the time. I was drooling over what they were eating, and they were kind enough to offer cooking it for me even though it was off- menu.  
It looked innocent enough, but wow, was the chicken spicy! Though it was very juicy and tender, so I kept eating it. The scallions were a nice touch. However, I could tell they were scraping the end of the rice pot because with eat bite I got hard crunchy pieces of over cooked grains.
Price: $ 13.00

Chesapeake Bay Fries
This was sprinkled with cheddar, crab meat, and chopped scallions. The fries themselves were perfectly crisp and salted, the crab meat however smelled and tasted very fishy. Funny, the only food that shouldn't smell like what it is.
Price: $8.00

Buddy and I before he had to go play

Verdict: They do have some decent beers on tap, I had ordered a Dogfish Head, and it came out to 6 dollars...that is New York priced beer. When I'm in Philly, I don't expect to pay more than 4-5 dollars. I wouldn't come here for the food, but if a band you like is playing here, at least you now know what not to get! 
The Blockley Pourhouse
3801 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
www.theblockley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment