Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brunch: The Co. mpany of Friends and Burnt Pizza



A couple of weeks ago, Melissa, Nikoma, and I met up of a Saturday brunch at Co. Pizza as breakfast ... what could be better?? ( I also want to apologize in advance for th iphone pictures, I didn't have the camera with me that day..)
Sleek modern atmosphere

Rosa
Since Nikoma is a vegan, he ordered one of the only things on the entire menu with no cheese or meat. This was made with crushed tomato, oregano, chili, garlic and a healthy drizzle of olive oil. The crust came out more burnt than I would have liked, and it almost ruined the taste of the pie. Other than that, it was also quite spicy! A nice alternative to coffee if you are trying to wake up. This was also a hardier pie, I could fold a slice in half without it flopping all around like melting jello. The tomatoes were the stars of the show and had the kind of fragrance that transferred the smell straight onto your palette. A nice tasty appetizer, would I order it again? Perhaps if I wanted lighter fare on a super hot day.
Price: $9.00


Margherita

Once again, the crust was charred more then I would have liked. I also wished they would have added the basil on after taking it out of the oven, for the basil took the same fate as the crust. I did enjoy that the mozzarella seemed to meld into the tomato sauce instead of sliding around as if it were on ice skates like other Neapolitan pizza restaurants.
Price: $13.00
Popeye
Basically a salad on top of a pizza. In a good way. I love spinach, obviously for those of you who dislike spinach, don't get this pie. The spinach leaves were not those wimpy baby craps you find in most salads, but actually full fledged adult spinach greens. Underneath revealed pecorino, gruyère, mozzarella, with black pepper, and garlic. Though to be honest, I couldn't really taste the other flavors without having to eat most of the spinach before taking a bite of the actual pizza. This was my favorite pie out of the three. 
Price: $17.00
Verdict: Well, after thinking it over, this place is definitely the priciest out of all the Neapolitan style pizza places I have been...($17.00 for a 10 inch pie with spinach?!?! )The crusts, and dough were also the least impressive,they had a tough texture without much flavor on their own.  I would not recommend this place for visitors or tourists.... but it was a nice experience with friends while I was there.

Co.
230 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10001
www.co-pane.com


No comments:

Post a Comment