Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sweet Tooth: Sugar Sweet Sunshine


So yesterday I decided it would be a good idea to go to this bakery instead of working out. I rationalized this thought by convincing myself that walking over the Williamsburg bridge to get to this place would be enough of a workout to burn off all the calories I was going to be ingesting when I get there. Was I lying to myself? Yes, but you only live once! :)

The Outside
Display of cupcakes...*sigh*

The Mini Blueberry Cheesecake
I WAS just going to get their banana bread pudding when I first got there, but then I saw this cute little thing. About the size of a clementine, it was oozing blueberries as I bit into it. The blueberries burst in my mouth and was not too sickeningly sweet. The cheesecake was creamy, though there was a weird thin skin on the top. Next time I'll try their chocolate chip cheesecake (the girl working the counter recommended that one)
Price: $2.00
The Sexy Red Velvet Cupcake
I am a huge critic of red velvet's (since they are my absolute favorite type of cupcake and I have experienced quite a large sum of them in the past). This one was topped with a cream cheese mousse. I was disappointed in the cake itself, it was pretty dry and flavorless. The icing tasted too buttery but was light and fluffy. I won't be getting this flavor again.
Price: $1.50
The Pistachio Cupcake
I have always been a fan with nut flavored cakes and pies, so naturally I had to get pistachio (which is also one of my favorite nuts!). The cake was a lot airer and fluffier than the red velvet. There was a definite lingering flavor of pistachio after I swallowed it, but when it was actually in my mouth all I tasted was sweetness. I enjoyed the bits of pistachio sprinkled on top as well. The icing however, tasted again way to buttery. I would have preferred more cream cheese than butter ratio.
Price: $1.50

The Pumpkin Spice Cupcake
This was my favorite out of the bunch of cupcakes. The cake was so aromatic, and the flavor packed just as much punch. It tasted nutty, spicy and brought me back to fall. The texture of this one was a hardier but also a more crumbly cake. I also enjoyed the icing better than the other ones. It was a tad sweeter, but at least it didn't taste like whipped butter, and it also had a thicker consistency. Out of all the cupcakes, I would definitely get this one again.
Price: $1.50
Banana Bread Pudding
And now, for the reason I came to this place....the Banana Bread Pudding. Oh. My. God. So amazingly sinful! Bombarded with crushed Nilla Wafers and large chunks of bananas, just one spoonful will automatically make you say "MmMMM". The bananas are perfectly ripe and the wafers just add a nice crumbly and crunchy texture. The pudding is so creamy and rich, there is not even a hint of fake vanilla flavoring. I got the small and it came in a 12 oz to go cup. This will undoubtedly replace my boring cereal as breakfast tomorrow, who says pudding was just a dessert? This is a MEAL
Verdict: There was seating enough to fit 8-10 people. One thing I didn't like about this place was that the people behind the counter were never really friendly and I almost didn't feel welcomed. My advice? Come for the banana pudding and pumpkin spice cupcake, ( I will try out their bundt cakes and let you know if it's worth it) skip the rest.
Sugar Sweet Sunshine
126 Rivington Street
New York, NY 10002-2300
www.sugarsweetsunshine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment