Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sweet Tooth: Shopsins General Store











The LES offers so many interesting restaurants, bakeries and gelato shops. This time I decided to go to Shopsins General Store. It is a tiny restaurant located in Essex Street Market. I've been there once before and have tried some of Kenny Shopsins crazy creations, but this time I wanted to check out his Banana Ebelskivers (featured in Food Networks The Best Thing I Ever Ate).
*photos from Yelp


Outside Essex Street Market



Restaurant setting bleeding into a cheese shop

Sample of his 1 out of 2 page menu! First time I came here I think I sat for at least 20 minutes before being able to decide on something

Banana Ebelskivers
Taste: These were about half the size of golf balls. Maybe my standards were too high since they were suggested on the Food Network, but these just tasted like pancakes with a thin sliver of cooked banana in them. They were good, but not the best thing I ever ate. The banana was ripe and but the flavor was faint. The whipped cream was a nice dipping sauce. Honey or maple syrup would have also been a nice choice.
Texure: Soft, very airy and light
Price: $9.00 for 8

Verdict: Everything on the menu seemed to interesting and experimental. I would definitely come back to try the mac n cheese pancakes, or one of his many, many breakfast plates. However, his prices seem a little steep, I remember last time I came here and ordered maple syrup fries, they were 7 dollars!  
Shopsins General Store
120 Essex Street
New York, NY 10002
www.shopsins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment