Friday, May 21, 2010

Product Review: Trader Joe's Smoked Salmon & Spinach Filled Crepes







Lately I have been trying to spend frugally and packing my lunch for work. Unfortunately this slowly transitioned into an extremely boring "make my own" salad phase. I could take no more... if I eat one more healthy leafy green I just might turn into the Jolly Green Giants wife. So in order to still be frugal and not die of lunch boredom, I figured to get a ready to cook meal instead of buying lunch. Since Lean Cuisine and Smart Choice options seemed pathetic and sad to me, I looked in Trader Joe's for some alternatives. Low and behold, the salmon crepes. I have seen these in the store for a while now and decided to give it a try.

What it looked like straight out of the box, they were nice and plump, my mouth drooled with anticipation
Smoked Salmon & Spinach Filled Crepe
It took about 6 1/2 minutes to fully heat 5 of them, I had to stop and flip them halfway through. Each were about the size of an iPhone. The crepe itself held up nicely to the heat of the microwave and was chewy and fun to bite into. The filling was kind of weird. The "cheese" part of the filling had the consistency of bad pudding and tasted very bland. There were not many pieces of salmon and each bite tasted inconsistent. Sometimes I got a bite with an extreme smoked flavor, other times I had wished I sprinkled salt on it.
Price: $ 3.99
Verdict: Trader Joe's, you have disappointed me this time! The only part I liked was the crepe itself. It held up wonderfully in its journey from frozen to heated state. Maybe they should just make frozen crepes, so for lunch all I need to buy are some banana's and nutella...mmmm!
Trader Joe's
142 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003-4170
www.traderjoes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment