Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lunch: Katz Delicatessen



Usually I don't go to places like this. Meat filled sandwiches aren't my thing, but Buddy had wanted to check it out, so we did. It is the oldest and most popular deli in New York. Featured on Man vs. Food, it's the only place you can still get hand carved pastrami. There are usually at least 10 lines formed at each station with a meat carver to place you order. To get more meat, you tip them ahead of time and sometimes if they are really nice, they will place samples for you to nibble at when you are waiting for them to make your sandwich.
However, it was a Saturday and super busy, so instead of waiting in line, we decided to pay a little extra and get waiting service.
The Outside
Seating Area
Complimentary Pickles and Pickled Tomatoes
Taste: These were brought out to the table while we waited for our sandwiches. The pickles had a great garlicky flavor, and the freshness of what was once cucumbers still came through. I was not a big fan of the tomatoes however, they were overly pickled and a weird salty sourness to them
Texture: Both were hardy and extra crisp and crunchy
Price: Free
Steak Fries
Taste: These were a bit under salted, not much flavor to them
Texture: I was missing the nice outer coating of crunch a french fry would naturally have. It was soft and dense, but I would have liked more textural diversification.
Price: $4.50

Pastrami on Rye
Taste: Buddy and I decided to split the sandwich since it looked so big. We got it with sauerkraut and mustard. I have never had pastrami before, so in my honest opinion it tasted like a really good hot dog. The sauerkraut went perfectly with the meat. I even had to take some of the meat off because they give you so much.
Texture: The pastrami was tender, juicy and melted in my mouth. The sauerkraut was crunchy and shredded just right. The rye bread was soft and chewy.
Price: $14.95

Verdict: This is a New York landmark, though I feel that the "hand carved" is a little gimmicky.  I'm not sure why everyone loves pastrami, it just tastes like a hot dog. At $14.95, it's a little pricey for a sandwich. If you decide to eat the whole sandwich, be prepared for the meat sweats! Though I might not come back for the sandwiches, I am still curious to try their matzo ball soup and blitzes. If you are a meat lover this is the place for you

Katz Delicatessen
205 East Houston Street
New York, NY 10002-1098
www.katzdeli.com



No comments:

Post a Comment